26 July 2019
What does it mean to be Registered Blind?

Suffering sight loss can be a confusing and upsetting time. And if your eye care professional suggests registration it can be hard to know what to do. 

So here are some facts.

There are 2 levels of Registration

  • Severely Sight Impaired (blind)
  • Sight Impaired (partially sighted)

Only an ophthalmologist (an eye doctor) can fill in the form for registration and this is then passed to your local authority. This only happens with your permission.

What's the point?

Well, the local authority will visit you to discuss your needs and how they can help. This may be with equipment and aids for around the home, training to help you use the sight you have left, or financial concessions such as reduction in TV liecence fees, free public transport, access to the Blue Badge Scheme, Tax allowances. 

There is more information available online. Follow the links below. Or give me a call if there's something you want to discuss about your sight loss. 

Ann McBay 



sitemap | cookie policy | privacy policy | accessibility statement